New applicants are welcome and applications will be processed but during this time of uncertainty, we are currently not placing any new animals in foster care. We will contact you when this changes.
Since we do not have a shelter location, our rescue relies on folks from the community to open up their homes to and care for the homeless pocket pets that we take in. The rescue provides everything you need including cage, food, bedding, toys and more. Fosters must commit to a minimum of 1 year of fostering, especially since we never know how long an animal may need to stay in rescue and it is particularly stressful for pocket pets to be moved around. You will be asked to answer questions on the care of specific species before you are able to foster them, so be sure to check out our care guides! For more information, contact Foster Coordinator, Amanda.
STEPS TO BECOMING A POCKET PET FOSTER PARENT
2. We review your application (including contacting references and veterinarians) and email you to let you know if you have been approved.
3. Our foster coordinator will make an appointment with you for a short over-the-phone orientation.
4. You complete our general volunteer and foster home guidelines/waiver forms and join our Volunteers Facebook page.
5. You complete our care quizzes online for all of the species you are interested in fostering.
6. You complete our foster handbook quiz to ensure you've reviewed the foster handbook previously sent to you.
7. We arrange with you to do a home visit. This will be our foster coordinator and another volunteer coming to your home to make sure that the space you would like to keep your foster animals is safe and the proper size as well as to answer any further questions you may have about fostering.
8. You will receive your final approval email and we start making arrangements for you to begin fostering a pocket pet in need!